[arch-dev-public] systemd 197 - kdm fails

Thomas Bächler thomas at archlinux.org
Thu Jan 31 10:27:41 EST 2013

Am 08.01.2013 10:27, schrieb Thomas Bächler:
> First of all, sorry for my recent absence, I was hoping to spend some
> time on Arch over Christmas, which I didn't.
>
> Anyway, today's systemd upgrade causes a problem which I was only able
> to solve by downgrading:
>
> When systemd launched kdm.service, X started, but the kdm greeter never
> appeared - instead X just sat there with the busy mouse pointer.
> systemctl stop kdm.service hung too, I could only kill -9 the X process.
>
> When I downgraded to 196-2, the greeter started immediately after the
> systemctl daemon-reexec in post_upgrade. I have no idea where to start,
> so any help is appreciated.
>
> Even worse: After the downgrade, systemctl start /boot (and thus the
> automounter) didn't work, I had to mount /boot manually.

Okay, it seems this issue was related to network interface names: When I
upgraded to 197-1, the network renaming was enabled by default, even for
upgrades (which changed in -2). I have some custom services that
explicitly wait for certain network devices, which then didn't show up.
That prevented my system from reaching network.target and some services
had very long delays, this probably blocked KDM from working properly
(that last sentence is mostly guesswork).