[arch-dev-public] Packages still containing rc.d scripts

Lukas Fleischer archlinux at cryptocrack.de
Wed Jun 5 09:19:07 EDT 2013

On Wed, Jun 05, 2013 at 11:01:02PM +1000, Gaetan Bisson wrote:
> [2013-06-05 13:06:59 +0200] Lukas Fleischer:

> > > That's indeed what I did with my packages (including ntp and x11vnc);
> > > there is no hurry to push this to the repos that I can see...
> >
> > Well, it is a bit inconsistent to rebuild all but 5 packages in our
> > repositories.
>
> And it is a waste of CPU, bandwidth, and time for everyone to rebuild
> packages simply to remove a worthless 4kB file. There is no reason not
> to wait for a proper rebuild to be actually required. As you can see,
> out of my 12 packages on that TODO list, in just 20 days, only two have
> not yet had another rebuild opportunity...

So dozens of developers and TUs wasted CPU, bandwidth and time because
it was unclear how to do the rebuild/commit.

I am not saying that everyone should rebuild their packages. What I am
saying is that we could be a bit more consistent and add one simple
sentence like

* "Only fix in trunk -- no need to rebuild."
* "Please rebuild and push to [staging]."
* "Please rebuild and move directly to [core]/[extra]/[community]."

to every TODO list. I know that is already done for a lot of TODO lists
but at lease 4 out of the 10 latest lists to not include such
information. Even in simple cases (such as SONAME bumps) where it is
pretty obvious what to do, it might help new Trusted Users and
developers who are unfamiliar with how we do rebuilds. And it avoids
inconsistency in cases like this one. It is just one sentence. Literally
takes 5 seconds to add it.