[arch-dev-public] Proposal to change the nvidia-utils package to allow for better bumblebee integration

Sven-Hendrik Haase sh at lutzhaase.com
Wed Mar 13 01:18:15 EDT 2013

I propose a change to the nvidia-utils that is as follows:

1. Move all libs to /usr/lib/nvidia
2. Create nvidia-utils-helper package that only adds a
/etc/ld.so.conf.d/nvidia file containing "/usr/lib/nvidia"
3. make nvidia-utils depend on nvidia-utils-helper

Reasoning:
A while back, I asked aur-general what they thought about putting
bumblebee into [community] [0]. The responses were few but positive. So
now I want to actually get this working.

The suggested changes will enable me to integrate bumblebee without
having to create a nvidia-utils-bumblebee package which would
essentially duplicate all the data that is in the nvidia-utils package
to begin with I'd like to keep it simple and not create
nvidia-utils-bumblebee and lib32-nvidia-utils-bumblebee. Instead we can
do with just a simple helper package. At the same time, we could delete
a bunch of nvidia-utils packages on AUR.

A new package "bumblebee" that I'd add would conflict/provide
nvidia-utils-helper but wouldn't contain the ld.so.conf.d file. This
would mean that the nvidia libs wouldn't get used by default on an
optimus system but instead would need to be explicitly loaded (as is
wanted). The transition should be seamless for all other users on
non-nvidia systems.

I know there was a proposal by an nvidia employee a while back to make
changes to the nvidia upstream driver package as well as mesa that would
enable inherent coexistence of mesa-libgl and nvidia-utils but I asked
that employee and he said there had been no progress on that proposal.
So here we stand.

[0]
https://mailman.archlinux.org/pipermail/aur-general/2013-March/022295.html