[arch-dev-public] BIND10? No, thanks.

Dan McGee dpmcgee at gmail.com
Tue Mar 19 23:57:31 EDT 2013

On Tue, Mar 19, 2013 at 10:50 PM, Gaetan Bisson <bisson at archlinux.org> wrote:
> [2013-03-09 13:27:42 +1100] Gaetan Bisson:
>> - We ditch dnsutils and bind out of our repos, unless somebody finds
>>   them fun and wants to maintain them in [extra] or [community].
>
> I would like to post the following announcement. Comments are welcome.
>

> Deprecation of bind and dnsutils
>
> The direction BIND has taken with its recent BIND10 release
> [makes it impossible](https://mailman.archlinux.org/pipermail/arch-dev-public/2013-March/024588.html)
> for us to keep relying on it.
> Consequently, official packages using
> [dnsutils](https://www.archlinux.org/packages/core/x86_64/dnsutils/)
> were migrated to
> [ldns](https://www.archlinux.org/packages/core/x86_64/ldns/),
> a much nicer library which provides a `drill` command
> that replaces `dig`, `nslookup`, and `host`.
>
> We strongly suggest you migrate your own software to
> [ldns](https://www.archlinux.org/packages/core/x86_64/ldns/)
> too, and replace
> [bind](https://www.archlinux.org/packages/extra/x86_64/bind/);
> with ldns-based alternatives:
>
> - the [unbound](https://www.archlinux.org/packages/community/x86_64/unbound/) resolving server (see [wiki](https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Unbound));
> - the [nsd](https://www.archlinux.org/packages/community/x86_64/nsd/) authoritative server (see [wiki](https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Nsd)).
>
> The deprecated packages
> [dnsutils](https://www.archlinux.org/packages/core/x86_64/dnsutils/)
> and
> [bind](https://www.archlinux.org/packages/extra/x86_64/bind/)
> will soon be dropped to the AUR.

This will have add 4 soon-to-be-dead links to packages in a news item,
which doesn't seem like a great idea. It also links exclusively to one
architecture. I would not include a single link to anything under
/packages/, whether these are new or old- you never know what the
landscape will look like in 6 months. Instead, just use the standard
`pkgname` or whatever syntax and people will be smart enough to search
for it.

Outside of that, the rest of the text looks good to me.

-Dan