[arch-dev-public] BIND10? No, thanks.

Gaetan Bisson bisson at archlinux.org
Wed Mar 20 00:14:19 EDT 2013

[2013-03-19 22:57:31 -0500] Dan McGee:
> This will have add 4 soon-to-be-dead links to packages in a news item,
> which doesn't seem like a great idea. It also links exclusively to one
> architecture. I would not include a single link to anything under
> /packages/, whether these are new or old- you never know what the
> landscape will look like in 6 months. Instead, just use the standard
> `pkgname` or whatever syntax and people will be smart enough to search
> for it.

Right. Here's the updated version.

Deprecation of bind and dnsutils

The direction BIND has taken with its recent BIND10 release
[makes it impossible](https://mailman.archlinux.org/pipermail/arch-dev-public/2013-March/024588.html)
for us to keep relying on it.
Consequently, official packages using `dnsutils` were migrated to
`ldns`, a much nicer library which provides a `drill` command
that replaces `dig`, `nslookup`, and `host`.

We strongly suggest you migrate your own software to `ldns` too,
and replace `bind` with ldns-based alternatives:

- the `unbound` resolving server (see [wiki](https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Unbound));
- the `nsd` authoritative server (see [wiki](https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Nsd)).

The deprecated packages (`dnsutils` and `bind`)
will soon be dropped to the AUR.

--
Gaetan