[arch-dev-public] BIND10? No, thanks.

Gaetan Bisson bisson at archlinux.org
Wed Mar 20 17:35:57 EDT 2013

[2013-03-20 18:41:02 +0100] Jan de Groot:
> Any DNS admin, even ones running Windows or PowerDNS, will use standard
> tools like "dig" to check domains. I've been implementing PowerDNS with
> DNSSEC last week, used dig +dnssec a lot to query for DNSSEC stuff.
> Drill doesn't support that, so it's a broken replacement in my eyes.

Of course it does support that: `drill -T -D` ...

> Just dropping the default choice of DNS resolving utilities because you
> don't like a new version of a server and its build system is complete
> crap. I don't like Apache 2.4 either, but instead of dropping Apache
> from the repos and replacing it with nginx I chose to keep 2.2.x and
> support that instead.

Good for you. Now I package what I want on my spare time and, if there's
a superior and easier-to-maintain alternative, I'm not going to waste
any more of my time on a crumbling piece of software just because
certain people cannot be bothered to migrate.

Over the past weeks we've transitioned all our packages depending on
dnsutils to ldns, and now what's holding us back is that you guys are
"used to" dnsutils!?! Frankly you disappoint me: I thought us devs had a
good track record of putting technical merit before personal attachment
to any piece of software.

By the way, you forgot to adopt dnsutils.

--
Gaetan