[arch-dev-public] BIND10? No, thanks.

Jan de Groot jan at jgc.homeip.net
Fri Mar 22 08:47:23 EDT 2013

Gaetan Bisson schreef op 20.03.2013 22:35:

> Good for you. Now I package what I want on my spare time and, if
> there's
> a superior and easier-to-maintain alternative, I'm not going to waste
> any more of my time on a crumbling piece of software just because
> certain people cannot be bothered to migrate.
>
> Over the past weeks we've transitioned all our packages depending on
> dnsutils to ldns, and now what's holding us back is that you guys are
> "used to" dnsutils!?! Frankly you disappoint me: I thought us devs had
> good track record of putting technical merit before personal
> attachment
> to any piece of software.
>
> By the way, you forgot to adopt dnsutils.

FYI: I adopted dnsutils.

Maybe you should look into what you're talking about a big more. You
started a complete dig/nslookup -> drill migration based on the fact
that you don't like the build system used in bind10 and the fact that
it's written in C++/Python.

I checked the bind10 source, it no longer includes dig and nslookup.
The tests/system/README file specifies that it needs dig from BIND9 to
run the testsuite...

I'm fine with ditching BIND, I always hated that nameserver, but BIND10
and dnsutils are completely different pieces of software.