[arch-dev-public] Fwd: [arch-commits] Commit in (9 files)

Tom Gundersen teg at jklm.no
Wed Nov 27 06:58:47 EST 2013

On Wed, Nov 27, 2013 at 12:49 PM, Sébastien Luttringer <seblu at seblu.net> wrote:
> On 27/11/2013 11:35, Thomas Bächler wrote:
>> Am 27.11.2013 11:29, schrieb Allan McRae:
>>> Please don't do this...   11 line output in post_install.   If you
>>> REALLY need this, use a single line pointing to the wiki page.
>>>
>>> Allan
>>
>> Usage instructions generally don't belong into install/upgrade messages.
>> In the best case, there is no message at all.
>>
>> In this case, the install message contains basic systemctl commands and
>> networking tips, none of this is specific to docker or urgent enough to
>> be printed during pacman.
>>

> This package has been pushed to svn too quicly. A discussion has been
> started in aur-general[1] and I stated that I'll managing addition.
>
> After a quick talk with Allan, I sent a mail to Daniel, to see if we can
> use the name docker for the new package instead of docker-io or
> lxc-docker. Let time to Daniel to answer.
>
> On the technical standpoint, this package needs refactoring, maybe build
> the binary from the source and not use the binary provided by
> dotcloud/docker inc. This needs more work to be done.
>
> Cheers,
>
> [1]
> https://mailman.archlinux.org/pipermail/aur-general/2013-November/026223.html

This makes sense to me. It may be worth noting that the 'old' docker
is installed by roughly 1% of our users, but according to their
website is meant for use with GNOME2 and KDE3, which we don't even
ship any more. I'd say dropping or renaming it makes the most sense
and let this new package take the name 'docker', as that's what people
will be looking for.

Cheers,

Tom