[arch-dev-public] Add guile support to make-4.0?

Allan McRae allan at archlinux.org
Wed Oct 9 20:14:41 EDT 2013

On 10/10/13 00:24, Dave Reisner wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 09, 2013 at 07:36:12PM +1000, Allan McRae wrote:
>> make-4.0 has this new feature:
>>
>> * New feature: GNU Guile integration
>>   This version of GNU make can be compiled with GNU Guile integration.
>>   GNU Guile serves as an embedded extension language for make.
>>   See the "Guile Function" section in the GNU Make manual for details.
>>   Currently GNU Guile 1.8 and 2.0+ are supported.  In Guile 1.8 there is no
>>   support for internationalized character sets.  In Guile 2.0+, scripts
>> can be
>>   encoded in UTF-8.
>>
>> I'd like to enable it so we can hang with the cool kids...  Building
>> make against guile means we will need to bring it to [core] along with
>> its dependencies gc and libunistring.  Using optdepends is not an option.
>>
>> Any objections to this?
>>
>> Allan
>
> This seems pretty useless. Is there an immediate want/need for this
> somewhere?

Not really.   But it won't be long before some project uses it and I get
bug reports.  And given this is the major new feature for this release,
it would be a shame to not add it.

How about just compiling make against guile and leaving guile and
friends in [extra]?  I care if make breaks, but not so much about the
guile integration.

Allan