[arch-dev-public] Add guile support to make-4.0?

Dave Reisner d at falconindy.com
Wed Oct 9 10:24:12 EDT 2013

On Wed, Oct 09, 2013 at 07:36:12PM +1000, Allan McRae wrote:
> make-4.0 has this new feature:
>
> * New feature: GNU Guile integration
>   This version of GNU make can be compiled with GNU Guile integration.
>   GNU Guile serves as an embedded extension language for make.
>   See the "Guile Function" section in the GNU Make manual for details.
>   Currently GNU Guile 1.8 and 2.0+ are supported.  In Guile 1.8 there is no
>   support for internationalized character sets.  In Guile 2.0+, scripts
> can be
>   encoded in UTF-8.
>
> I'd like to enable it so we can hang with the cool kids...  Building
> make against guile means we will need to bring it to [core] along with
> its dependencies gc and libunistring.  Using optdepends is not an option.
>
> Any objections to this?
>
> Allan

This seems pretty useless. Is there an immediate want/need for this
somewhere?

I'm seeing evidence of this being a long time in development[1], but a
lot of the propaganda in favor of the feature seems to be around the
make integration in Guile, not vice versa... weird stuff. I'm plainly
surprised that there doesn't seem to be any overlap between proponents
of this feature and Guix...

[1] http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/guile-user/2011-09/msg00038.html