[arch-dev-public] replacing efibootmgr with efibootmgr from peter jones with libefivar support?

Tobias Powalowski tobias.powalowski at googlemail.com
Mon Sep 9 09:16:14 EDT 2013

Hi,
while improving archboot's uefi capabilities, Keshav which wrote most of
the UEFI documentation on wiki comes up with this wish to switch to
Peter Jones efibootmgr.

For explanation for sysfs-efivar vs.efivarfs, efivarfs is the future in
the kernel.
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Unified_Extensible_Firmware_Interface#Inconsistency_between_efivarfs_and_sysfs-efivars

His efibootmgr uses the efivar library.This efibootmgr supports efivarfs
and with this probably there is no need to use sysfs-efivars interface
at all.
This efibootmgr also contains many fixes and supports native efistub
entries without truncation of loader path or the extra arguments passed
via -u or -@ options. The actual upstream author is very slow in
responding to queries, therefore I suggest switching to Peter Jones's
code instead.
For those who do not know Peter Jones, he is Fedora's efibootmgr (and
few other boot loader related pkgs) maintainer.

Are there any objections in switching to this efibootmgr version?
If we decide to switch to this version efivar package need to move to
[core] with it and we can disable the efivar module in kernels.

greetings
tpowa

--
Tobias Powalowski