[arch-dev-public] replacing efibootmgr with efibootmgr from peter jones with libefivar support?

Tom Gundersen teg at jklm.no
Mon Sep 9 10:59:07 EDT 2013

On Mon, Sep 9, 2013 at 3:16 PM, Tobias Powalowski
<tobias.powalowski at googlemail.com> wrote:
> while improving archboot's uefi capabilities, Keshav which wrote most of
> the UEFI documentation on wiki comes up with this wish to switch to
> Peter Jones efibootmgr.
>
> For explanation for sysfs-efivar vs.efivarfs, efivarfs is the future in
> the kernel.
> https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Unified_Extensible_Firmware_Interface#Inconsistency_between_efivarfs_and_sysfs-efivars
>
> His efibootmgr uses the efivar library.This efibootmgr supports efivarfs
> and with this probably there is no need to use sysfs-efivars interface
> at all.
> This efibootmgr also contains many fixes and supports native efistub
> entries without truncation of loader path or the extra arguments passed
> via -u or -@ options. The actual upstream author is very slow in
> responding to queries, therefore I suggest switching to Peter Jones's
> code instead.
> For those who do not know Peter Jones, he is Fedora's efibootmgr (and
> few other boot loader related pkgs) maintainer.
>
> Are there any objections in switching to this efibootmgr version?
> If we decide to switch to this version efivar package need to move to
> [core] with it and we can disable the efivar module in kernels.

This makes sense to me.

If understand correctly using both efivars and efivarfs during the
same boot is very fragile (at least I have managed to make the kernel
panic doing this). So if we can make it no longer necessary (or even
better: make it impossible) to use both interfaces, that would be
great.

Cheers,

Tom