[arch-dev-public] Drop cronie and logrotate from base?

Thomas Bächler thomas at archlinux.org
Tue Apr 1 14:15:55 EDT 2014

The other day, Daniel Micary suggested dropping these packages from base
(potentially even moving them to extra).

* cronie

Nothing in our default installation uses it anymore and it was disabled
by default since we switched to systemd. Only a small percentage of our
users actually use crontabs actively, and for those, pacman -S cronie &&
systemctl enable cronie is not too much of a hassle.

* logrotate

In a default installation, it rotates nothing. It could be added as an
optdepend to those packages that provide logrotate.d files so people are
aware that they should install it.

Opinions?