[arch-dev-public] Fwd: CONFIG_CHECKPOINT_RESTORE

Tobias Powalowski tobias.powalowski at googlemail.com
Thu Dec 11 07:50:48 UTC 2014

Betreff: 	CONFIG_CHECKPOINT_RESTORE
Datum: 	Thu, 11 Dec 2014 00:11:20 +0200
Von: 	Ruslan Kuprieiev <kupruser at gmail.com>
An: 	tpowa at archlinux.org

Hi Tobias!

My name is Ruslan and I'm one of the criu project developers.

criu is a project to implement checkpoint/restore in userspace.
We have recently released v1.4 and are able to do a lot of things,
including c/r-ing and migrating containers(lxc, docker, ovz). We
also provide CRIU RPC(all languages that support google protobuf) and
libcriu(wrapper for C) for users to be able to use criu in their
projects. CRIU heavily depends on CONFIG_CHECKPOINT_RESTORE, which
is disabled in arch since (if I'm not mistaken) kernel v3.14.

I was asking you about CONFIG_CHECKPOINT_RESTORE some time ago,
and I'm wondering if it is planed to enable it in the nearest
future? I've read in the mailing list, that it was disabled because
it is under CONFIG_EXPERT

I also read somewhere in the mailing list, that there is a chance
that it could be enabled if someone would be willing to support
criu package in the repo(not aur). Though, in AUR[1] it got a bunch of
votes. If it is so, I can contact criu package maintainer in the aur
to ask if he is willing to support it, or ,if he rejects, I could
became a criu package maintainer.

I love arch and being not able to run criu on a default kernel is
really frustrating for me.

[1] https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/criu/

Thanks,
Ruslan