[arch-dev-public] Fwd: CONFIG_CHECKPOINT_RESTORE

Bartłomiej Piotrowski bpiotrowski at archlinux.org
Thu Dec 11 15:48:21 UTC 2014

On Thu, 11 Dec 2014 08:50:48 +0100
Tobias Powalowski <tobias.powalowski at googlemail.com> wrote:
> Betreff: 	CONFIG_CHECKPOINT_RESTORE
> Datum: 	Thu, 11 Dec 2014 00:11:20 +0200
> Von: 	Ruslan Kuprieiev <kupruser at gmail.com>
> An: 	tpowa at archlinux.org
>
> Hi Tobias!
>
> My name is Ruslan and I'm one of the criu project developers.
>
> criu is a project to implement checkpoint/restore in userspace.
> We have recently released v1.4 and are able to do a lot of things,
> including c/r-ing and migrating containers(lxc, docker, ovz). We
> also provide CRIU RPC(all languages that support google protobuf) and
> libcriu(wrapper for C) for users to be able to use criu in their
> projects. CRIU heavily depends on CONFIG_CHECKPOINT_RESTORE, which
> is disabled in arch since (if I'm not mistaken) kernel v3.14.
>
> I was asking you about CONFIG_CHECKPOINT_RESTORE some time ago,
> and I'm wondering if it is planed to enable it in the nearest
> future? I've read in the mailing list, that it was disabled because
> it is under CONFIG_EXPERT
>
> I also read somewhere in the mailing list, that there is a chance
> that it could be enabled if someone would be willing to support
> criu package in the repo(not aur). Though, in AUR[1] it got a bunch of
> votes. If it is so, I can contact criu package maintainer in the aur
> to ask if he is willing to support it, or ,if he rejects, I could
> became a criu package maintainer.
>
> I love arch and being not able to run criu on a default kernel is
> really frustrating for me.
>
> [1] https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/criu/
>
> Thanks,
> Ruslan

I couldn't manage to utilize any of criu features back when
CONFIG_CHECKPOINT_RESTORE was enabled, for reasons I don't remember and
have no log files about. Unless it's proven to be working, I see no
reason why we should consider re-enabling it.

If you don't mind my further complaining, the correct workflow for such
requests leads though the bug tracker. Additionally you need to be a TU
or dev to maintain a package in the official repositories.

Regards,
Bartłomiej