[arch-dev-public] db6 rebuild dropped - new ToDo list

Rashif Ray Rahman schiv at archlinux.org
Sat Feb 8 14:19:13 EST 2014

On 20 August 2013 00:08, Pierre Schmitz <pierre at archlinux.de> wrote:
> Am 19.08.2013 08:20, schrieb Gaetan Bisson:
>> [2013-08-10 11:47:50 +0200] Andreas Radke:
>>> Berkeley db5 won't see much further updates if any at all. We should
>>> check each package that now links to it if that functionality is
>>> essentially required.
>>
>> For postfix, it is not strictly required, but upgrading to a db-free
>> postfix will require user intervention. This is probably worth it but I
>> would welcome the input of other devs. Please discuss there:
>>
>>       https://bugs.archlinux.org/task/36592
>
> I would suggest to keep db support here for now. Esp. when user
> interaction is required and there is a good chance of breakage. There is
> no need to hurry, as db5 will be around and used by other distros for
> some time. In these cases it would be best to push the decision
> upstream.

If anyone's concerned about the introduction of lib32-db: it was
necessitated by lib32-jack after the latest jack release, which
introduced a new API (for naming connections) that is dependent upon
BDB.

I wasn't aware of this dependency while updating jack (and the build
went smoothly without any hint of requiring db), so neither jack nor
lib32-jack is in the rebuild list.

I won't be adding them to the list now, as the dependency is
unavoidable. Upstream in this case would probably never require db6,
and if v5 does get dropped from our repos (due to major security
concerns or whatsoever) I can work with them to make the API opt-in.

--
GPG/PGP ID: C0711BF1