[arch-dev-public] Moving packages into community

Sébastien Luttringer seblu at seblu.net
Tue Feb 11 14:57:43 EST 2014

On 11/02/2014 14:39, Bartłomiej Piotrowski wrote:
> On 02/11/2014 02:37 AM, Sébastien Luttringer wrote:
>> - Send a message on aur-general at al.org
>> - Write some lines in the AUR package comments
>> - Open a BR for inclusion
>> - Push his new package to community

This is a short list of well known places where you can find hints that
someone is already working on moving your package.
I did *not* suggest that you should do one of the previous examples.

I'm not telling you to open a BR before moving a package. I'm too lazy.
But if you move a package, it's a good idea to check if there is bug
report opened (or closed) about it. Like a feature request[1].

>> - Test his modification
>> - Start his communication with upstream
>> - Request some feedback.

All these bullets was to justify, that sometimes, you need more time
than usual before pushing the binary package. That why we should check
the previous places before inclusion.

> Address your issues to TU who modified your package.
Be sure that was the first thing I have done.

However that's not the first time I see this happening during the
inclusion process, that motivated me to share this point on the list and
add this "obvious" recommendation in our guidelines.

Cheers,

[1] https://bugs.archlinux.org/task/38698

--
Sébastien "Seblu" Luttringer