[arch-dev-public] [RFC] Moving mail away from gerolde

Florian Pritz bluewind at xinu.at
Mon Jul 14 16:33:11 EDT 2014

I've completed the setup on nymeria and I will switch dns tomorrow so
I'm available if issues arise.

All accounts currently forward email to outside email addresses so you
will only notice this change if you use gerolde to send mail from your
@archlinux.org address. In this case you'll need to reconfigure your
clients to use the following credentials:

SMTP/IMAP/POP3 server: mail.archlinux.org
(DNS TTL was 1 day so this might take a little longer to update)
SMTP port: 587, 25

Username: your nymeria username
Password: your nymeria password. If you don't have one yet, set it with
passwd.

Since I use dovecot for authentication local mail storage will also be
available (simply remove or empty your ~/.forward file to use it) and
can be accessed via IMAP or POP3 (default ports). Please note that
currently it is not properly backed up if at all. If anyone actually
wants to use it I'll set up the backups.

Also note that local storage is currently configured to use dovecot's
mdbox storage format which is more efficient than maildir, but can't be
read directly by software like mutt. You'll have to go through
IMAP/POP3. I believe nobody currently uses local storage on gerolde so
this shouldn't be a problem.

All connections involving authentication are required to be encrypted
(STARTTLS for SMTP, STARTTLS or TLS/SSL for IMAP and POP3)

I plan to move mailman to luna (bbs, wiki, aur box) once this transition
is done.

If desired I will also set up roundcube on luna so we can have a webmail
for our local (well nymeria) mail storage.

PS: I've currently enabled soft_bounce on nymeria so any mail that would
hard bounce will only be deferred with a temporary error. This could
lead to bounce mail being delayed for a few days. It will be turned off
once I'm confident the setup works as expected.