[arch-dev-public] [RFC] Perl configuration revisited

Florian Pritz bluewind at xinu.at
Wed Jun 11 03:47:27 EDT 2014

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Perl module installation dirs
Date: Tue, 10 Jun 2014 21:51:22 -0400
From: Justin Davis <jrcd83 at gmail.com>
To: Florian Pritz <bluewind at xinu.at>

Here is a short response to your RFC. I cannot post to the
arch-dev-public mailing list.

The vendor arch specific directory, in accordance with the Arch
Way(tm), should stay un-versioned. Why? Not just for principles. The
reason is that I think it is more important to be obviously,
unambiguously, totally hosed, b0rked, broken, rather than be quietly
broken and appear perfectly normal. This is simply from my own
experience trying to troubleshoot problems.

If you version the vendor dirs the following scenario will play out.
People will upgrade perl. No sigfaults, yay! Then they will wonder why
perl says their modules are not installed, when pacman says that, yes
indeed they are. Which modules? They don't quite know. Heck, they
might not even notice until a week after they upgrade. In the end the
result will be the same, they will still need to reinstall and/or rebuild
modules, but it will be less obvious what the problem is.

core_perl has no reason to versioned as far as I understand it. There
can be only one! But yes, please... for the love of all that is holy,
version the site_perl directory.

--
-Justin