[arch-dev-public] [RFC] Add ARM to archlinux.org

keenerd keenerd at gmail.com
Mon Mar 24 21:15:06 EDT 2014

On 3/24/14, Sébastien Luttringer <seblu at seblu.net> wrote:
>>> - add AUR
>>
>> This doesn't make sense. We already have a git repo which does a far
>> better job of compressing the deltas between versions of text files.
> Keeping the git backend or not, it makes sense to me to move this from
> the build server (pkgbuild.com) to the archive server (something like
> archive.archlinux.org).
>
> Git is an awesome SCM, but it was not think to backup stuff, especially
> with a big directory tree. My feeling trying to find a previous version
> of a PKGBUILD with aur-mirror.git is:
> - a very long time to fetch the repository
> - a space based dig into changelog to find the right commit for my date
> - a long checkout to get the tree at this commit
>
> Having something with faster access and in a similar hierarchy may have
> use cases.

The Rollback Machine has a convenient CLI wrapper to access packages.
Have you tried using the Rollback Machine with just a browser?  It is
nearly impossible.  The CLI wrapper makes it much nicer.

The aur.git backup has no such convenient wrapper.  Yes, it is painful
to use.  About as painful as trying to navigate the Rollback Machine
with a web browser.  Write a front end instead of this vague, nebulous
proposal.

> The only complain I get is because this service is not official and rely
> on my health.
> I had 3 requests:
> - One guy for mirroring because of latency.
> - One from ArchARM asking to add ARM to their project :)
> - One from a guy asking to add AUR support.

Just to clarify the Arch Linux ARM thing.  No one asked to incorporate
ALARM into the Rollback Machine.  Someone did ask for assistance with
setting up their own Rollback Machine.  And this guy was not "from
ArchARM", he was an ALARM mirror host.

If only one guy is complaining about latency, great!  Hundreds of
people aren't.  I wish I could do something where only one person
complained about it.

-Kyle
http://kmkeen.com