[arch-dev-public] [RFC] Add ARM to archlinux.org

Sébastien Luttringer seblu at seblu.net
Mon Mar 24 22:02:06 EDT 2014

On 25/03/2014 02:15, keenerd wrote:
> On 3/24/14, Sébastien Luttringer <seblu at seblu.net> wrote:
> The Rollback Machine has a convenient CLI wrapper to access packages.
> Have you tried using the Rollback Machine with just a browser?  It is
> nearly impossible.  The CLI wrapper makes it much nicer.
I always use the web interface to get packages from ARM. No wrapper. The
unique CLI tool I used was pacman to rollback a whole system.

The ARM server latency is pretty good where pkgbuild.com is a nightmare.

$ time wget -qO/dev/null https://seblu.net/a/arm/2014
wget -qO/dev/null https://seblu.net/a/arm/2014  0,02s user 0,00s system
33% cpu 0,063 tot

$ time wget -qO/dev/null
http://pkgbuild.com/git/aur-mirror.git/tree/?id=0b2c85b0b252c9bab30df2c411d506bf3475a1ae
wget -qO/dev/null   0,17s user 0,74s system 18% cpu 4,970 total

> The aur.git backup has no such convenient wrapper.  Yes, it is painful
> to use.  About as painful as trying to navigate the Rollback Machine
> with a web browser.
I'm not speaking of beauty, but speed and latency of answers.

> Write a front end instead of this vague, nebulous
> proposal.
I did not wish hurt you in any manner. Your aur-mirror.git is a good
initiative. Please don't take it personally.

> Just to clarify the Arch Linux ARM thing.  No one asked to incorporate
> ALARM into the Rollback Machine.  Someone did ask for assistance with
> setting up their own Rollback Machine.  And this guy was not "from
> ArchARM", he was an ALARM mirror host.
Sorry if that was not clear in my first mail.

Cheers,

--
Sébastien "Seblu" Luttringer
https://seblu.net | Twitter: @seblu42