[arch-dev-public] Fwd: [arch-general] Java 8

Guillaume Alaux guillaume at alaux.net
Sun May 18 15:44:28 EDT 2014

On 22 April 2014 20:58, Guillaume Alaux <guillaume at alaux.net> wrote:
> On 6 April 2014 23:10, Guillaume Alaux <guillaume at alaux.net> wrote:

>>> Ok so answer from IcedTeam team [0] is they should relase "Hopefully
>>> in the next month. It depends how involved the security errata is next
>>> month."
>>>
>>> I am thus going to keep on working on a package *without IceTea* in
>>> case we want to test/release it and prepare one *with IcedTea* ready
>>> when this release is out.
>>>
>>> [0] http://mail.openjdk.java.net/pipermail/distro-pkg-dev/2014-March/026974.html
>>>
>>> --
>>> Guillaume
>>
>> So as previously announced, here is an early version of OpenJDK 8
>> without IcedTea [0]. Sources of the package can be found here [1]. It
>> is currently split into `jre8-openjdk` and `jdk8-openjdk` that
>> currently declare a conflict with other JRE/JDK packages (I am working
>> on an simple way to enable installation of multiple Java
>> environments). Any tests feedback by those of you interested would be
>> appreciated (I have just noticed I forgot man pages for JRE binaries
>> on this package - will be fixed).
>>
>> Thanks
>>
>> [0] https://dev.archlinux.org/~guillaume/openjdk8-noicedtea/
>> [1] https://github.com/galaux/aurpkgs/tree/444d7df9ad91842fd595f220becddfbaa8894c4b/java8-openjdk
>>
>> --
>> Guillaume
>

> Split versions of JRE/JRE-headless/JDK for both architectures are
> available here [0] for testing. Sources available here [1].
>
> [0] https://dev.archlinux.org/~guillaume/openjdk8-noicedtea/
> [1] https://github.com/galaux/aurpkgs/tree/master/java8-openjdk
>
> --
> Guillaume

Hello,

For people interested, here are the last versions of the "java
providing" package I have been working on recently:

http://pkgbuild.com/~guillaume/repos/jdk/

Packages in this repo are:
  - OpenJDK Java 8 packages (without IcedTea)
  - OpenJDK Java 7 packages (with IcedTea)
  - Oracle Java 8 packages (from binary tarballs - written as a proof
of concept for other Java vendors)
  - "meta" package to enable installation of all the previous java packages

None of these packages conflict with any other. This is intended in
order to support multiple Java environment version as well as vendors.
They all rely on a link /usr/lib/jvm/java-default-runtime that can
point at any of these java home. One can either (un)set this link
manually or use a rather trivial script 'archlinux-java' provided by
'java-runtime-headless'.

As a reminder, one can use the provided – totally unsupported – repo
by adding the following on pacman.conf:

[galaux_jdk]
SigLevel = Optional TrustAll
Server = http://pkgbuild.com/~guillaume/repos/jdk/$arch