[arch-dev-public] [Draft] MariaDB 10.0 enters [extra]

Bartłomiej Piotrowski b at bpiotrowski.pl
Sun May 25 13:00:25 EDT 2014

On Sun, 25 May 2014 17:48:31 +0200
Pierre Schmitz <pierre at archlinux.de> wrote:
> I guess the client library remains compatible or do we need to
> recompile packages? ATM we also provide MySQL 5.6 by packaging the
> percona fork. It provides the mariadb version as well, is that still
> sensible with 10 starting to be incompatible with mysql?

Good point. The client library is still compatible, client tools are
not[1]. Percona probably should explicitly depend on
percona-server-clients=$pkgver, so should MariaDB.

> Why is it recommend to reload from a dump? Some more details would be
> good, as this is not easily doable (without a longer downtime) for
> users with large databases.

It is a common procedure encouraged by MySQL upstream, not mandatory by
any means.

> Well, we provide this with our current 5.5 packages? What happens to
> those who use this? Instead of the "I am sorry.." part, better link
> to the upstream bug report.

Currently it is available in the [extra] package. TokuDB upstream is not
as responsive as I would expect and I'm still waiting for the fix for
build failure I reported almost 6 months ago. I don't mind reporting one
more, I just don't think it will get fixed in a reasonable time.

> In addition to this, is the gcc 4.9 issue reported somewhere and the
> "workaround" confirmed? This bug seems to destroy the db files, so we
> better be sure.

If MariaDB is built using gcc >= 4.9-20140507 without this flag, it
still crashes but doesn't loss any data. I have reported the problem
and possible workaround on the MariaDB bug tracker.

[1] https://bugs.archlinux.org/task/40041

--
Bartłomiej Piotrowski
http://bpiotrowski.pl/