[arch-dev-public] Plex Media Server in [community]

Andrea Scarpino andrea at archlinux.org
Tue Oct 14 11:37:29 UTC 2014

On Tue, Oct 14, 2014 at 1:25 PM, Ike Devolder <ike.devolder at gmail.com> wrote:
> The real advantage here is that our users can conveniently install it
> from our central repository, no need to fiddle around and when 'we' ship
> it, there is at least someone testing it so that someone knows the
> possible quircks to make it work just fine on arch.

I'm sorry, but still I don't see the difference between AUR and this.
The package will be maintained by Maxime, so it's already "official"
in some way.

You don't lose bandwidth, neither CPU cycles in this case (well,
except for compression which could be set to plain tar anyway).

> I see no real reason to 'ban' packages with binary sources. Or would you
> rather go for the ubuntu model where we add a 'multiverse' like
> repository where all the dirty stuff is stored ?

I guess there's no need for an extra repository since we have AUR.

--
Andrea