[arch-dev-public] Plex Media Server in [community]

Pierre Schmitz pierre at archlinux.de
Tue Oct 14 11:43:57 UTC 2014

Am 14.10.2014 13:04, schrieb Andrea Scarpino:
> On Tue, Oct 14, 2014 at 12:50 PM, Allan McRae <allan at archlinux.org>
> wrote:
>> Given it is a binary source, I see no real advantage to adding it to
>> the
>> repositories.
>
> Yep, me neither.
>
> In fact I'd like to drop any binary source from our repositories...

I need to strongly disagree here. Why would we only package software
that is compiled from source? What about scripting languages?

Or do you refer to the free software aspect here? We never forced people
to only use or package free software and I hope we keep it that way.

So far our policy has been simply: "Are we allowed to redistribute it?"

And in case of Plex the answer seems to be: No we cannot! As
https://plex.tv/legal states:
"You may not, or allow anyone else to, directly or indirectly to: (1)
copy, modify, distribute, sell, or lease any part of the Software"

A random post on the forum is probably not enough; they need to update
their terms if they want anybody to distribute their software.

Greetings,

Pierre