[arch-dev-public] [RFC] New package: vte3-2.90

Anatol Pomozov anatol.pomozov at gmail.com
Mon Sep 29 03:45:26 UTC 2014

Hi

On Sun, Sep 28, 2014 at 1:26 PM, Evangelos Foutras
<evangelos at foutrelis.com> wrote:
> (I would really like opinions from our GNOME maintainers on this.)
>
> Seeing as vte3 0.38.0 in [testing] has a new API, I went ahead a
> created a todo list to rebuild the packages that depend on the old
> libvte2_90 library. [1]
>
> Patches that port the affected software to the new API might not be
> available at the moment and it could be a while until upstream
> developers add support for vte-2.91 (see [2] for an example).
>
> To solve this I suggest we keep the old library around for some time
> to allow software to be ported to the new API.
>
> The actions taken would be to:
>
> 1) Repackage the old library as vte3-2.90 (or vte-2.90, not sure about the name)

This is the best thing we can do now. I briefly looked at vte 0.38 and
found that it contains *a lot* of API changes. It requires non-trivial
patches to port sakura and other applications. Let's leave the task of
API porting to the apps developers.

I also suggest to create upstream bugs to track the migration.

> 2) Move etc/profile.d/vte.sh from vte3 to vte-common to fix the file conflict

Are you going to remove vte-common once the migration is done?