[arch-dev-public] Dropping vi and adding vim-minimal to the installation image

Evangelos Foutras evangelos at foutrelis.com
Wed Apr 22 18:13:48 UTC 2015

On 22/04/15 04:33, Evangelos Foutras wrote:
> On 22/04/15 04:08, Allan McRae wrote:
>> On 22/04/15 10:58, Evangelos Foutras wrote:
>>> I feel a stronger case would need to be made for moving vim-minimal to
>>> [core]. At the moment we're only trying to figure out a sane fallback
>>> editor, mostly for visudo and I guess cronie's crontab. nano seems to
>>> fit the bill and requires no additional packages in [core] or base.
>>>
>>> (The fact that visudo has 'vi' in its name isn't a valid argument. :P)
>>
>> No - the fact the every other distribution uses a "vi" for visudo by
>> default is the argument.  Or at least I have failed to find one that does...
>>
>> I'm fairly sure that having a vi installed is in one of the Linux standards.
>
> I know it's anecdotal evidence, but I've always removed vi from my
> systems and never noticed any problems. Adherence to POSIX can be a
> compelling argument though.
>
> All right, let's go with vim-minimal.

OK, we can't go with vim-minimal, and since nano was met with some
resistance, I've restored the status quo by putting vi back in [core]:

This discussion is now concluded, though I'm sure it'll pop up again at
some point in the future. At least we now get vim on the installation
image, which solves my main annoyance about vi. :)

Commit message with justification for the revert:

=================
r237918 | foutrelis | 2015-04-22 21:02:32 +0300 (Wed, 22 Apr 2015) | 15
lines

Bring back vi (FS#44604)

There was objection to switching the /usr/bin/vi editor fallback of
programs like visuo to /usr/bin/nano and the idea of not providing
/usr/bin/vi at all goes against POSIX.

Considering that dbscripts lack support for pushing split packages into
more than one repository, vim-minimal cannot be made available in [core]
without maintaining two copies of the PKGBUILD, which is something the
vim maintainer would rather not do (understandably so).

So, welcome back vi; I didn't miss you one bit.

(On the bright side, vim-minimal is included on the installation image.)