[arch-dev-public] KDE Applications 14.12 (aka some KDE applications now use Qt5)

Andrea Scarpino andrea at archlinux.org
Fri Jan 16 19:47:01 UTC 2015

Hi all,
as our KDE && [testing] users already noticed, KDE Applications 14.12[1]
packages are entering [testing].

As it happens when a major UI toolkit is out, KDE developers are porting their
software and then they are switching, someone slowly someone faster, to KDE
Frameworks. For a specific list see [1].

When a KF5 stable release of an application is released with KDE Applications,
using the KDE4 version of that application is discouraged as the fixes are
only applied to the KF5 one.

For this reason, on Arch, the KF5 package replaces the KDE4 one. Also, we are
getting rid of kde module prefixes e.g. kdebase-konsole -> konsole.

Felix Yan is helping a lot in this transition. Also Antonio Rojas suggestions
are very precious.

[1] https://www.kde.org/announcements/announce-applications-14.12.0.php

--
Andrea