[arch-dev-public] Fwd: Non-core kernel

Gaetan Bisson bisson at archlinux.org
Mon Jul 20 04:03:47 UTC 2015

[2015-07-19 16:37:42 +0200] Jan Alexander Steffens:
> I recently noticed we have community/linux-grsec. Do we have a stance
> on additional kernels? I vaguely remember some stigma against it but
> not the details. Maybe I'm completely wrong.

For reference, it was discussed there:

	https://lists.archlinux.org/pipermail/arch-dev-public/2014-April/026170.html

>From what I remember, essentially, quite a few people were against
officially supporting another kernel, particularly since the feature
gain was not clear and it seemed like the grsec world would at some
point also need to interfere with userland packages, but Daniel Micay
kept replying he would take care of everything himself and that there
would be no interference.

> If it is agreeable, I would like to bring the ZEN kernel[1] into
> either [extra] or [community].

You make it sound like that package would differ very little from our
current linux package and require little additional maintenance; it
really seems fine to me to bring it to [community].

Cheers.

--
Gaetan