[arch-dev-public] Building in a clean chroot

Doug Newgard scimmia at archlinux.info
Thu Jun 25 16:08:06 UTC 2015

I had two somewhat related bug reports recently. One of made it obvious that the
packager wasn't building in a chroot. The second one was for a missing
makedepends on a package that was added to the repo less than a day earlier. I
figured this one might be from a dirty chroot, but after contacting the
maintainer, it turns out he doesn't build in a chroot for "any" architecture
packages.

So here we have two people packaging for the repos building outside of chroots.
Where there's two, there's probably more that just haven't been discovered yet.
I inquired about this on IRC and was told there is no written policy, they just
thought it was understood by all. Is this then something that's currently left
to the maintainer's discretion? Is it policy and just not written? Is it
something that should be written policy?

Doug