[arch-dev-public] [RFC] archive.archlinux.org

Sébastien Luttringer seblu at archlinux.org
Tue Oct 20 00:20:50 UTC 2015

On Sat, 2015-10-17 at 21:26 -0500, Daniel Wallace wrote:
> On Sat, Oct 17, 2015 at 9:20 PM, Gaetan Bisson <bisson at archlinux.org>
> wrote:
> My question about this is if we allow this into the repositories, an
> ability to go get unsupported package
> easily to install on your system even with a warning about the fact
> that
> they are not supported... can we
> put AUR helpers into the repositories?

There is an important difference between our outdated packages and
external packages, which may not have the level of quality and trust we
expect in official repositories.

Moreover, an AUR package is potentially harmful, where outdated package
aren't.

AUR helpers you mention are used to get external contents, where
agetpkg helps to retrieve previous packages in order to troubleshoot
or rescue a broken system. There is nothing more allowed that you can
already do with pacman -U /var/cache/pacman/pkg/X.

So, in my opinion, adding AURs helpers it's a different topic.

Cheers,

--
Sébastien "Seblu" Luttringer
https://seblu.net | Twitter: @seblu42