[arch-dev-public] [RFC] archive.archlinux.org

Daniel Wallace danielwallace at gtmanfred.com
Sun Oct 18 02:26:48 UTC 2015

On Sat, Oct 17, 2015 at 9:20 PM, Gaetan Bisson <bisson at archlinux.org> wrote:

> [2015-10-17 21:02:00 +0200] Sébastien Luttringer:
> > Q: We will support old packages?
> > A: No. Nothing change. We already have to check when people report bugs
> > they upgraded their system to the last version.
>
> I note that we provide aur.archlinux.org as a service to the community,
> but with a big warning that AUR packages are not supported. To me, your
> project would be exactly the same: we'd provide an archive.archlinux.org
> service (with associated helper scripts) but it would come with big
> warnings that this is for diagnosis purposes only, and that outdated
> packages are not supported.
>
> Cheers.
>
> --
> Gaetan

My question about this is if we allow this into the repositories, an
ability to go get unsupported package
easily to install on your system even with a warning about the fact that
they are not supported... can we
put AUR helpers into the repositories?

Maybe not ones that do all the compiling for you, but something like cower
that just goes and gets the
source.

If we can't put in something for the AUR, then I don't think we should have
this package in any of the
repos either.  I don't have a problem with putting the archive as a
supported project, but if it is basically
coming under the same rules as the AUR... should the tools to get the
packages have different rules?

Just my 2¢

Daniel