[arch-dev-public] Hooks rebuild #1

Balló György ballogyor at gmail.com
Thu Apr 28 17:51:31 UTC 2016

> Hi
>
> On Wed, Apr 27, 2016 at 11:36 PM, Balló György <ballogyor at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> >
> >> Namcap 3.2.7 is released.  It removes the old .install warnings and
> >> adds a new one if the .install does anything covered by a hook.
> >>

> > Note that checks for shared-mime-info and desktop-file-utils dependencies
> > are still needed. Please restore them.
>
> I disagree.
>
> Dependencies like gtk-update-icon-cache/desktop-file-utils should be
> installed by those who *needs* the tool functionality. Not by the
> packages that *provide* icons/desktop files.
>
> It this case desktop environment should depend on desktop-file-utils
> that maintains the cache up-to-date. And if a user has no UI (headless
> setup) then no point in updating this cache.

This would mean that shared-mime-info and desktop-file-utils should be
added as dependency to the glib2 package, because the generated cache files
are used by its gio library:
https://git.gnome.org/browse/glib/tree/gio/gdesktopappinfo.c#n902
https://git.gnome.org/browse/glib/tree/gio/xdgmime/xdgmime.c#n346

For gtk-update-icon-cache, I think it's fine to add it as dependency only
to gtk2 and gtk3, if the icon cache files are generated/removed, when
gtk-update-icon-cache package is installed/removed.

--
György Balló