[arch-dev-public] Shadowing i686, round 1

NicoHood archlinux at nicohood.de
Tue Dec 13 11:05:20 UTC 2016

On 12/12/2016 10:02 PM, Jelle van der Waa wrote:
> On 12/12/16 at 09:51pm, Bartłomiej Piotrowski wrote:
>> against that architecture. No, I don't do even smoke tests – I assume
>> that i686 works if x86_64 does. (Don't beat me up too hard for that.)
>
> I know for sure that you are not the only one :)
>
>> I'd like to set a certain date of dropping i686 completely. During that
>> time, community and/or interested packagers could come up with either
>> automated build solution, making it "tier 2" architecture. Otherwise it
>> would just die of natural cause.
>
> I'm in favor of an auto build solution, since this has multiple
> bonusses. We could extend the auto build solution for reproducible
> builds (yay!). Auto rebuilds and maybe later when vendors get their act
> togehter (aarch64 *cough*).

I agree to get rid of i686. However I want to refer to the discussion
about stronger hashes in PKGBUILDs. If we use an automatic build
solution that builds the packages for 32bit, we need to make sure that
we have gpg signed sources or strong hashes.

GPG signatures would be best, but if they are not available we must rely
on the hash. To ensure that the build server downloads the exact same
source as the maintainer (who checked and tested the source) we must use
strong hashes. (This already applies for the ALARM project).

Now that some packages still need some arch dependent modification I
would still add those, if possible. It would mean our PKGBUILD is
compatible with 32bit, but does not guarantee it. I personally would
also love to do this for ARM, as it is just a really small change
sometimes to add support for a specific arch.

This way the build server maintainers do not need to patch every
PKGBUILD (considering trivial changes). I can see it as volunteer
addition of the maintainer in this case.

~Nico