[arch-dev-public] Shadowing i686, round 1

Balló György ballogyor at gmail.com
Tue Dec 13 19:04:44 UTC 2016

2016. 12.  13, kedd keltezéssel 12.29-kor Doug Newgard ezt írta:
> On Tue, 13 Dec 2016 19:16:53 +0100
> Balló György via arch-dev-public <arch-dev-public at archlinux.org>
> wrote:
>
> > -1 for dropping i686 completely.
> >
> > +1 for introducing automated builds, even if it's less secure.
> >
> > I would like to keep i686 supported, and willing to do anything
> > that is
> > needed to setup and maintain an official automated build server for
> > i686 packages (and possibly for other architectures).
>
> I've got to ask, why do you feel so strongly about it? It's been
> pointed out
> that i686 really doesn't fit in with the original goals of Arch
> anymore, is less
> and less supported upstream, and essentially untested. What is the
> compelling
> reason for keeping it around?

Because I still use an i686-only system occasionally, and I prefer to
keep old hardware working with my favourite distribution. I agree that
building packages manually for a small percentage of users is
pointless. But most of the packages can be built for i686 without any
modifications. We just need an automated build server, which takes the
job.

--
György Balló
Trusted User