[arch-dev-public] Shadowing i686, round 1

NicoHood archlinux at nicohood.de
Tue Dec 13 22:05:09 UTC 2016

On 12/13/2016 08:04 PM, Balló György via arch-dev-public wrote:
> 2016. 12.  13, kedd keltezéssel 12.29-kor Doug Newgard ezt írta:
>> On Tue, 13 Dec 2016 19:16:53 +0100
>> Balló György via arch-dev-public <arch-dev-public at archlinux.org>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> -1 for dropping i686 completely.
>>>
>>> +1 for introducing automated builds, even if it's less secure.
>>>
>>> I would like to keep i686 supported, and willing to do anything
>>> that is
>>> needed to setup and maintain an official automated build server for
>>> i686 packages (and possibly for other architectures).
>>
>> I've got to ask, why do you feel so strongly about it? It's been
>> pointed out
>> that i686 really doesn't fit in with the original goals of Arch
>> anymore, is less
>> and less supported upstream, and essentially untested. What is the
>> compelling
>> reason for keeping it around?
>
> Because I still use an i686-only system occasionally, and I prefer to
> keep old hardware working with my favourite distribution. I agree that
> building packages manually for a small percentage of users is
> pointless. But most of the packages can be built for i686 without any
> modifications. We just need an automated build server, which takes the
> job.
>
> --
> György Balló
> Trusted User

If we have reproduceable builds we could also use this buildserver to
build the x64 packages. I know that this is a huge task, but then we
could automate the package building better in a centralized place. And
instead of dropping i686 we could integrate arm as well.

Those will not be officially supported, but we could give people access
to fix those arch specific problems. Normal maintainers can focus on x64
development while some others have a place to distribute and maintain
other architectures of their favorite os.