[arch-dev-public] Hooks!

Sébastien Luttringer seblu at seblu.net
Wed May 18 23:35:40 UTC 2016

On jeu., 2016-04-28 at 23:14 +0200, Christian Hesse wrote:
> Allan McRae <allan at archlinux.org> on Sat, 2016/04/23 17:03:
> > According to the news announcement, today is the day we can start using
> > hooks!  (as long as you live in the future like me - those of you in the
> > past will need to catch up a day).
> >
> > I have started a wiki page to discuss which hooks to add [1].
> > [...]
> >
> > [1] https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/DeveloperWiki:Pacman_Hooks
>
> I can not edit the wiki page, so discussing here.
>
> How about a hook that rebuilds kernel initramfs images? Something like:

This is clearly better that the current situation, so +0.5!

But as we are on the topic, could we consider directly moving to kernel-install
to manage programs used to make the system able to boot (initramfs, bootladers)
?

Initramfs rebuild logic is in a script in /usr/lib/kernel/install.d. Like grub
or others bootloaders.

I have a POC[1] here and I'm using it with good feedback since months.

[1] https://git.archlinux.org/users/seblu/kernel-install-poc.git/

--
Sébastien "Seblu" Luttringer
https://seblu.net | Twitter: @seblu42