[arch-dev-public] Hooks!

Christian Hesse list at eworm.de
Thu May 19 09:58:43 UTC 2016

Sébastien Luttringer <seblu at seblu.net> on Thu, 2016/05/19 01:35:
> On jeu., 2016-04-28 at 23:14 +0200, Christian Hesse wrote:
> > Allan McRae <allan at archlinux.org> on Sat, 2016/04/23 17:03:
> > > According to the news announcement, today is the day we can start using
> > > hooks!  (as long as you live in the future like me - those of you in the
> > > past will need to catch up a day).
> > >
> > > I have started a wiki page to discuss which hooks to add [1].
> > > [...]
> > >
> > > [1] https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/DeveloperWiki:Pacman_Hooks
> >
> > I can not edit the wiki page, so discussing here.
> >
> > How about a hook that rebuilds kernel initramfs images? Something like:
>
> This is clearly better that the current situation, so +0.5!
>
> But as we are on the topic, could we consider directly moving to
> kernel-install to manage programs used to make the system able to boot
> (initramfs, bootladers) ?
>
> Initramfs rebuild logic is in a script in /usr/lib/kernel/install.d. Like
> grub or others bootloaders.
>
> I have a POC[1] here and I'm using it with good feedback since months.
>

> [1] https://git.archlinux.org/users/seblu/kernel-install-poc.git/

Just built and installed the packages. Your hooks' triggers have
a target 'usr/lib/kernel/vmlinuz-*', which does not exist on my system. What
changes are required to linux packages? Do you have linux packages that work
with your hooks?

And you should consider adding some more targets. For example updating
packages 'systemd' or 'lvm2' should trigger an initramfs rebuild as well.
That is why I added a target 'usr/lib/initcpio/*'.
--
main(a){char*c=/*    Schoene Gruesse                         */"B?IJj;MEH"
"CX:;",b;for(a/*    Best regards             my address:    */=0;b=c[a++];)