[arch-dev-public] Moving arduino into [community] important notes

Bartłomiej Piotrowski bpiotrowski at archlinux.org
Mon Nov 28 00:34:38 UTC 2016

On 2016-11-26 18:01, NicoHood wrote:
> Hey guys,
> I've got a few concerns when moving arduino into community. Lately we
> could solve most bugs, but those require some manual installation steps
> that I want to explain here, and those possibly need additional
> information on the front page:
>
> Some (very old) arduino installations (somehow) left over the empty path
> /usr/share/arduino/hardware/avr which will cause a crash with the new
> arduino installation:
> java.io.FileNotFoundException:
> /usr/share/arduino/hardware/arduino/avr/platform.txt (No such file or
> directory)

How did it get created in the first place?

> The 2nd issue is when people try to upgrade from an older version of
> arduino that provided arduino-builder. It will fail to install as the
> new version says "oh, arduino-builder is already installed". It then
> tries to remove arduino and the arduino-builder dependency is not
> satisfied anymore. This only affects a small number of versions, but
> still raise up on AUR. I am not sure if this got fixed in pacman by now.

I don't understand this point. What fails to install new version? What
pacman bug you are talking about?

> Since such many upgrade problems raised up, I think it is highly
> recommended to sum those up in a short news at archlinux.org and then
> push arduino to community.

Because of your vague description, it's hard to say if that's true.

> While people will likely have to remove their
> existing installation, I think it would also make sense to get rid of
> the current epoche value at the same time when it moves to community. As
> an alternative we could also rename arduino to arduino-ide and add a
> replace into the PKGBUILD.

There is no way to remove epoch, ever. I know it looks ugly for some
packagers, but there is nothing to be ashamed for. We have it for a
reason, and if it's been added, it stays.

Bartłomiej