[arch-dev-public] i686 and SSE2

Bartłomiej Piotrowski bpiotrowski at archlinux.org
Wed Sep 28 19:12:10 UTC 2016

On 2016-09-28 05:10, Allan McRae wrote:
> The most pressing issue is #1.  So lets get back to the issue of the
> increasing amount of software requiring SSE2.  How do we solve this?

I thought about it, and I lean toward dropping i686 completely. The only
thing that SSE2 requirement will do is even further decrease of i686 users.

Because we will deprecate i686 eventually, I don't think we should beat
around the bush. There is no benefit of switching to i786 in terms of
time spent for building packages. Even our completely old pkgstats data
say that 8.53% use 32 bit Arch, while only 4.21% of submissions came
from systems with amd64-incompatible CPU. It's just not worth the hassle.

Bartłomiej