[arch-dev-public] i686 and SSE2

Daniel Micay danielmicay at gmail.com
Wed Sep 28 19:54:51 UTC 2016

On Wed, 2016-09-28 at 21:12 +0200, Bartłomiej Piotrowski wrote:
> On 2016-09-28 05:10, Allan McRae wrote:
> >
> > The most pressing issue is #1.  So lets get back to the issue of the
> > increasing amount of software requiring SSE2.  How do we solve this?
>
> I thought about it, and I lean toward dropping i686 completely. The
> only
> thing that SSE2 requirement will do is even further decrease of i686
> users.
>
> Because we will deprecate i686 eventually, I don't think we should
> beat
> around the bush. There is no benefit of switching to i786 in terms of
> time spent for building packages. Even our completely old pkgstats
> data
> say that 8.53% use 32 bit Arch, while only 4.21% of submissions came
> from systems with amd64-incompatible CPU. It's just not worth the
> hassle.
>
> Bartłomiej

Marking it as deprecated everywhere with a timeline to officially
dropping it as a first tier architecture would be nice. Can give people
enough time to work out a way of doing automated builds, even official
ones if there are developers / trusted users interested in doing it. It
isn't going to get automated away without making it clear that it will
be dropped at a certain date whether or not that's implemented.

Very few of us are actually testing on i686 anymore. It might as well
all be automated by the people still interested in it.