[arch-dev-public] Improving overall experience for contributors

Jelle van der Waa jelle at vdwaa.nl
Wed May 24 08:15:09 UTC 2017

On 05/23/17 at 10:47am, Gaetan Bisson wrote:
> [2017-05-23 22:23:51 +0200] Bartłomiej Piotrowski:
> > Another thing that I heard in last few months isthat it is actually hard
> > for potential TU candidates to find a sponsor. While I believe it is
> > perfectly fine to e-mail few potential sponsors to ask for opinion,
> > throwing random messages at people doesn't sound really appealing.
>
> In my opinion writing emails to strangers should be part of the
> application process. In my duties as packager maintainer I often find
> myself writing emails to various persons I've never met: other distro
> devs, upstream maintainers, etc. I'm sure the same goes for all of us.
> It's just basic communication skills.
>
> Do we need contributors this badly that we could consider accepting
> applicants who are too shy to write an email to a stranger?
>
> > In my humble opinion, we should rethink the way we recruit people
>
> I don't understand what you mean. In the past when we've had specific
> needs in particular areas, ad-hoc recruitment processes were devised to
> fill those needs. Shouldn't that be good enough? What kind of new
> process would you like to see implemented?

I disagree, I have the feeling there are a lot of ideas which would
 improve Arch Linux a lot. Which are now not being worked on (as far as
 I know). Therefore I think it would be great if there was a page where
 first time contributors can find projects, but this will require
 mentoring from Developers or TU's.

 A few things I can think of which need help:

 * Automate rebuilds, this is something we really need to keep rolling.
 * New dbscripts, moving to git, etc.
 * Archweb, although a lot of work is currently in progress.

--
Jelle van der Waa