[arch-dev-public] Improving overall experience for contributors

Christian Rebischke Chris.Rebischke at archlinux.org
Wed May 24 13:00:12 UTC 2017

On Wed, May 24, 2017 at 10:15:09AM +0200, Jelle van der Waa wrote:
> I disagree, I have the feeling there are a lot of ideas which would
>  improve Arch Linux a lot. Which are now not being worked on (as far as
>  I know). Therefore I think it would be great if there was a page where
>  first time contributors can find projects, but this will require
>  mentoring from Developers or TU's.

Well, we have a projects website[1] but it's missing a section for
issues, project management, todos etc. I really like the idea of an own
gitlab instance. Our current project management is just too chaotic for
newbies. What is missing is a simple overview over "what need to be
done" or current "todos". Moreover i know that many of us like the
mailinglist based patch contribution but I am pretty sure that this is
an additional reason why we have such a lack on new patches.

I am pretty sure when we would have a gitlab instance or move our
dev-projects to github we would have more contributions.

[1] https://git.archlinux.org/