[arch-dev-public] Arch Linux Container and Boxes

Christian Rebischke Chris.Rebischke at archlinux.org
Wed May 31 14:08:07 UTC 2017

On Wed, May 31, 2017 at 12:41:15PM +0200, Bartłomiej Piotrowski wrote:
> Can we give more people from the devops team admin access there? We
> already have too many places that only 1 or 2 of us can access.

Sure. They just need to register an account on hub.docker.com and
atlas.hashicorp.com and I can add them to the 'archlinux'[!sic]
organisation on atlas (vagrant images) and hub.docker.com (docker
container).

> > His docker container is a huge improvement to the other docker
> > containers in the hub. Most of them are insecure, ship private keys
> > within the container or ship more applications as needed.
>
> Any reason systemd is there? Recursive removal cuts off 30MB. The fact
> that libldap depends on e2fsprogs also seems wrong. I know, "patches
> welcome".

There is a dependency cycle, thats why systemd got pulled in.
I got already some feedback to the container and the image and I am
pretty sure we can reduce the size of the container a little bit more.
Currently the docker container is 152mb big in compressed state and
around 425mb or something uncompressed.

I would also like to have a second container repository with a container
that has base and base-devel, for stuff like jenkins etc.

> Given yours and Pierre's involvement, it can already be considered official.

Ok I didn't know it's that easy.

> Does it really needs a separate channel? Don't we have
> #archlinux-projects for that?

Sorry, I didn't know that #archlinux-projects exists. The channel is a
good idea.