[arch-dev-public] Arch Conf

David Runge dave at sleepmap.de
Thu Dec 6 19:35:53 UTC 2018

Fellow Archers!

Some of us (in #archlinux-conf) are thinking of organizing an event for
our community: A new Arch Conf!
We would like to do a conference (earliest in the 2nd half of 2019),
that concentrates on our internal community: The developers, trusted
users and support staff.
Most of us have never met in real life, which would in itself be quite
nice to change. However, we also have many issues and challenges to
tackle in Arch Linux.
Doing a dedicated conference (in the scope of two days) again [1] seems
to be a good starting point!

As many of us live somewhere in central Europe, countries such as
Germany have been taken into consideration.
We looked at some free and paid locations in Berlin and Hamburg and
Delft (The Netherlands), but nothing is decided yet.

We are currently trying to figure out options for sponsorship, as we
would also like to be able to (help) fly in developers from further away
(without compromising).
For this we would like to get more input from you.

We were thinking of involvement for topics e.g. from the DevOps and
security teams, but also more broad subjects, such as package
repositories, bug tracker, wiki, etc.

An Arch Conf will of course not only require involvement in the form of
presentations and workshops, but volunteers to help prepare and handle a
potential location and the event itself.
Also, there should be video streaming (e.g. the VOC [2] offers free
services for free software conferences) for those that can't be there.

We would like to get some input from all of you regarding time, space
and scope :)

[1] https://web.archive.org/web/20130313105945/http://www.archlinux.ca/archcon2010/
[2] https://c3voc.de/

--