[arch-dev-public] Arch Conf

Jelle van der Waa jelle at vdwaa.nl
Mon Dec 10 08:46:25 UTC 2018

Hi All,

On 12/06/18 at 08:35pm, David Runge wrote:
> Fellow Archers!
>
> Some of us (in #archlinux-conf) are thinking of organizing an event for
> our community: A new Arch Conf!

Yay!

> We would like to do a conference (earliest in the 2nd half of 2019),
> that concentrates on our internal community: The developers, trusted
> users and support staff.
> Most of us have never met in real life, which would in itself be quite
> nice to change. However, we also have many issues and challenges to
> tackle in Arch Linux.
> Doing a dedicated conference (in the scope of two days) again [1] seems
> to be a good starting point!

I'm all for organizing a conf. One of the steps we should take as follow
up is probably gather how many people would be interested. Since it
probably does not make a lot of sense to gather a list of interested
TU's/Dev's/Support Staff as well as required travel funds.

> As many of us live somewhere in central Europe, countries such as
> Germany have been taken into consideration.
> We looked at some free and paid locations in Berlin and Hamburg and
> Delft (The Netherlands), but nothing is decided yet.
>
> We are currently trying to figure out options for sponsorship, as we
> would also like to be able to (help) fly in developers from further away
> (without compromising).
> For this we would like to get more input from you.

I really want to see a lot of attendees from our team, which would mean
getting a lot of travel funds. Since some of us are further away from
Europe :)
This wouldn't be doable without getting sponsors, does anyone have an
idea on getting sponsors, handling donations? I believe debconf set's up
a separate SPI account for it.

> We were thinking of involvement for topics e.g. from the DevOps and
> security teams, but also more broad subjects, such as package
> repositories, bug tracker, wiki, etc.

This would be a real opportunity to tackle some interesting issues, such
as our Git migration, bug tracker migration and sharing information.

--
Jelle van der Waa