[arch-dev-public] RFC: Dropping -DCMAKE_BUILD_TYPE from packages using cmake

Antonio Rojas arojas at archlinux.org
Sat Mar 10 10:34:43 UTC 2018

Hi,
 Currently most of our packages which use the cmake build system are built with -DCMAKE_BUILD_TYPE=Release. This provides a reasonable (according to upstream) set of C(XX)FLAGS defaults which are appended to and override our default C(XX)FLAGS. So, for instance, our cmake packages are being built with -O3 instead of our default -O2. Besides the inconsistency that this brings to our binaries, IMO it's not a good idea to override our default C(XX)FLAGS unless there's a good reason to. This will also cause issues once we start building debug packages by default (-DCMAKE_BUILD_TYPE=Release also adds DNDEBUG).
 Therefore I'm proposing to drop -DCMAKE_BUILD_TYPE from all our cmake packages, building them with our default C(XX)FLAGS as all other packages. Comments?