[arch-dev-public] packaging hunspell dictionaries converted for qt5-webengine

Eli Schwartz eschwartz at archlinux.org
Tue Aug 13 16:05:36 UTC 2019

On August 13, 2019 3:22:39 AM EDT, Jan Alexander Steffens via arch-dev-public <arch-dev-public at archlinux.org> wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 13, 2019 at 9:04 AM Bartłomiej Piotrowski via
> arch-dev-public <
> arch-dev-public at archlinux.org> wrote:
> > I'd go with updating all packages to ship the converted files.
> > Cluttering /usr with untracked files doesn't sound good.
>
> Yeah, I agree. I think we should package convert_dict from the
> Chromium
> sources as a new package to makedepend on.

Do we need that, really? We could just splitpkg the one in qt5-webengine as it only links to QtCore, and that would at least save on webengine in a build chroot. But no users actually suffer because of large makedeps.

> Assuming that WebEngine will not be the only consumer of .bdic
> dictionaries, how about putting them in /usr/share/bdic, and then
> either
> patching sources to use that dir or linking whatever engine-specific
> dictionaries there?

I doubt much of anything uses this other than chromium derivatives. I have no idea how chromium handles this and couldn't find a packaged .bdic file to base assumptions on.

I similarly have no clue what electron's story is.

The grammalecte package does have _dictionaries/*.bdic in its python site-packages datadir. I think that probably somehow ties into kde things that use qt5-webengine.

> We could also put them with the other dictionaries into
> /usr/share/hunspell, assuming that won't cause problems.

I don't think it will cause problems but I also don't think it will help. Things that expect hunspell dicts won't expect chromium bdics to be there and won't use them. And qt5-webengine won't look there. Maybe if they added support for that, it would make sense.

--
Eli Schwartz
Bug Wrangler and Trusted User