[arch-dev-public] RFC: (devtools) Changing default compression method to zstd

Robin Broda arch-ml at coderobe.net
Sun Dec 15 18:22:33 UTC 2019

On 12/14/19 7:58 PM, Robin Broda via arch-dev-public wrote:
> Hello again,
>
> We are on our way to getting zstd merged.
>
> The planned merge window for this is **2019/12/27** at around 20:00 Europe/Berlin time.
> Several team members will be meeting at the 36c3, so we figured this is a good opportunity to do this,
> as it makes sure that several people are aware, ready, and together for this - should anything immediately explode.
>
> This has been ACK'd by anthraxx. Foxboron is also aware.
> I have been mentioning this on IRC, and discussed it with anthraxx via e-mail.
> This mail serves to formalize the plans.
>
> **There is one hard requirement on the merge happening:**
>
> All critical Arch Linux production infrastructure needs to be ready.
> The known-unsolved problems are labelled below, please see to them if any of you can.
> I will also take a look myself, but I do not have much involvement with these parts of the puzzle,
> so I would really appreciate someone with more in-depth knowledge taking a look.
>
> If the known issues are solved and nothing major comes up, the deployment will happen as planned.

All known issues have been dealt with.
We are waiting on the patches to land, thus:
- https://www.archlinux.org/packages/extra/any/namcap/ being upgraded to 3.2.9
- https://github.com/archlinux/archivetools/pull/8 being merged
- https://github.com/coderobe/infrastructure/commit/7155521ed6f823ac6c6d06d1b9dcdb8a5165c417 being picked into infrastructure.git
  - this *depends on* the archivetools patch
  - archive-cleaner is not mission-critical, it does not need to be patched before the scheduled deployment
    - Foxboron is working on a patch

These can all be dealt with during the deployment if they do not happen beforehand anyways.
This means the deployment will happen as planned.

--
Rob (coderobe)