[arch-dev-public] Improving overall experience for contributors follow up

Eli Schwartz eschwartz at archlinux.org
Wed Feb 6 21:26:03 UTC 2019

On 2/6/19 4:16 PM, Jelle van der Waa wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I still believe we should take some initiative on thse issues. What we
> have so far is:
>
> - Getting involved page, not sure where it's linked from? Only findable
>   on the wiki. [1] Which links to a nice list of projects with an
>   already dedicated irc channel and mailing lists. (I was not even aware
>   of #archlinux-projects).
>   But does anyone ever find this page? I think we should at least link
>   it from archlinux.org.

We should definitely link it from archlinux.org, maybe under "Community"
in the sidebar.

However, other than that I think the wiki is a good place to keep the
list, as it is is more easily maintained as a wiki.

> - The mozilla idea, I'm up for it? Should we host it under
>   whatcanidofor.archlinux.org? Note that this also requires some effort
>   from the team's side. We should however keep our bugtracker tidy and
>   maybe label "new contributor" tickets since this is quite crucial to
>   get new people in. I however have also some thoughts on things which
>   these days have no tickets, but could be worked on for example:

Well, perhaps moving to bugzilla would make it easier to assign extra
labels like that. :D

>   - revamping the Ruby guidelines. They should be as nice as the Python
>     ones
>   - Hardening our custom systemd services and creating bugs with
>     patches, for example grafana has hardening applied now. [5]
>   - Man pages for more devtools binaries.
>
>   I'm quite sure others others have such projects on their mind which
>   are not publicly findable yet. (sogrep to devtools for example)

sogrep as it currently exists on the soyuz build server depends on
private paths to /srv/ftp

I've reimplemented it here, FWIW:
https://github.com/eli-schwartz/dotfiles/blob/master/bin/sogrep

To go with:
https://github.com/eli-schwartz/dotfiles/blob/master/bin/pkg-list-linked-libraries

Problem is I'm not sure either one strictly belongs in devtools.

--
Eli Schwartz
Bug Wrangler and Trusted User